Saturday, March 3, 2012

What Happened To Parenting?

Real parenting? Sit-at-the-table-till-you-finish-your-food, parenting? I can remember falling asleep sitting at the table because I didn't want to eat meatloaf.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally guilty of going to easy on my kid, and letting him do what he wants, within reason. I'm definitely not NEAR as strict as my parents were. And I regret that. I think I need to change some things up. Just because my world has to revolve around the military, doesn't mean I should get to slack off.

I think it's time to outline some new rules around here. The beast used to have specific chores that were his and changed as he got older and was able to handle more stuff. Ever since I got pregnant with Gigantor, that has fallen by the wayside. The rules that were in place have become mere suggestions now that my energy is zapped by the 2 little ones. I think tonight, I'm gonna have to sit down with a pen and paper and set up some goals for myself when it comes to what priorities I have and what can stay a little more relaxed.

And I see a crafting project in my future... A laminated weekly calendar for the Beast with pictures of specific chores for each day of the week that have a Velcro backing so they can be interchangeable... Tomorrow is a new day... And pretty soon, my ornery child who doesn't listen will be a beautiful little stepford-child who is seen and not heard...

A girl can dream, can't she?

No comments:

Post a Comment